The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the death of a worker at SpaceX’s Starbase site


A worker at SpaceX’s Starbase launch site in South Texas died on Friday, and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has opened an investigation.

the The San Antonio Express-News reported Monday The unidentified victim died at approximately 4:17 a.m. local time on May 15, OSHA and local officials said. The Wall Street Journal later reported that the county sheriff He confirmed to the outlet That the worker died. OSHA confirmed to TechCrunch that it is investigating the apparent incident.

Representatives for Brownsville police and nearby fire departments did not respond to requests for comment. SpaceX and the newly combined City of Starbase did not respond to requests for comment.

The circumstances of the worker’s death were not immediately clear. OSHA told TechCrunch that it will not release further information until its investigation is complete, which could take months.

The death comes just days before the planned launch of SpaceX’s upgraded Starship rocket. Elon Musk’s spaceflight company is also said to be releasing a prospectus detailing its initial public offering this week, which is expected to be the largest ever when that deal closes next month.

SpaceX has long dealt with worker safety issues at its Starbase site, which handles Starship prototype launches and is an active construction zone.

In 2025, TechCrunch Analysis of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) data. It determined that the infection rate at the Texas launch site far exceeded that of industry competitors and was SpaceX’s most dangerous worksite. A 2023 Reuters investigation revealed dozens of previously unreported infections and the death of a worker in 2014 at SpaceX’s McGregor test site in Texas.

In January, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration charged SpaceX with seven “serious” safety violations for, among other things, not properly inspecting the crane before it collapsed at Starbase last June. The safety agency imposed the maximum financial penalty on SpaceX for six of those seven violations, totaling $115,850. SpaceX is appealing those penalties, federal records show.

The company has been hit with several lawsuits related to injuries it sustained at Starbase in recent years. In December, an employee of a SpaceX subcontractor filed a lawsuit after being crushed by a large metal support that fell from a crane. The worker, Eduardo Cavazos, suffered a broken hip, knee, and leg, and OSHA opened a “rapid response investigation,” according to TechCrunch. Reported for the first time In December.

OSHA has since closed the rapid response investigation without taking any punitive action, according to a public records request filed by TechCrunch. The lawsuit was recently dropped because his employee, a subcontractor, has workers’ compensation insurance that prevents him from filing a lawsuit, according to Cavazos’ attorney.

When you make a purchase through the links in our articles, We may earn a small commission. This does not affect our editorial independence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *