USC caught in Trump-Nuzer funding, Crossfire funding


From Jean QuangCalmness

This story was originally published by CalmattersS Register about their ballots.

Gavar Gavin Newo, on Thursday, threatens to reduce billions of state funding from the University of Southern California if he complies with the Trump administration to impose President’s political priorities in the campus.

USC was one of the nine public and private universities across the country who received offers for preferential access to White House Federal Funds on Thursday in exchange for agreement with a wide variety of political directives, many of which are brought to the conservative demands of higher education.

NEWSOM responded with your own ultimatum: sign the White House request and Immented are losing state funding, including Calgrants, $ 2.4 billion in annual scholarships funded by the state for students in California.

The threat – which puts the universities in California in their position to choose between the loss of state or federal funding – is the last escalation in the relations of the state with the Trump administration. It comes as a broader Newsom strives to return to stretching the Trump administration from democratic norms, and to burn its own situation as the leader of national democratic resistance.

The state filed a lawsuit against the administration because of the detention of federal grants or attempts to bind unrelated federal funding with the demands of the policy surrounding initiatives for diversity and inclusion or immigration. Newsom is now threatening to punish California institutions that meet Trump’s threats or support his agenda.

“California will not bankrupt schools that sell their students, professors, researchers and convey academic freedom,” he said in a press release, using quotes for all drops imitating publications on the president’s social media, who have become frequent feeds on the loser’s own communications.

It was not clear immediately how much USC state funding received, including in Calgrants’ scholarships.

In 2024, the USC fiscal year received $ 1.35 billion in federal funding – $ 650 million for students and $ 569 million for research. The university has reduced budgets and froze hiring in March in part for a constant deficit and uncertainty about federal funding. In July temporary President Beng-Su Kim declared The university is likely to conduct cuts.

The White House letters come as universities across the country face increasing pressure from the administration, allowing transsexual athletes to compete, processing them for propalist protests last year, and common allegations in liberal bias.

Federal Judge recently allowed UCLA to restore many of its federal grantsBut the university has been fighting over $ 1 billion in fine from the federal government for allegations of resolution of anti -Semitism in the campus; In negotiations to settle the Trump administration has Make a litan of requests The university, including that he does not accept international students who have “anti -Western” views. Newsom called it “blackmail” and said in August that he hoped to “stop people from selling themselves.”

With the letter on Thursday, the Trump administration seeks to stimulate observance of other universities.

The letter sent to USC and other universities, according to the Associated Press, states that in exchange for compliance with the Directives of the White House, institutions will receive benefits as “essential and meaningful federal grants”. Thehe Directives include Teaching, limiting the number of international students, banning the use of race and gender in admission, restricting accommodation for transgender students and promoting a campus environment that is more welcoming to conservative ideas.

The universities they received the offer were selected because employees believed that they could be a “good actor” and have a “president who is a reformer or advice who really stated that they were engaged in a higher quality education”, senior White House Mayleman’s senior councilor said to Wall Street Journalwhich first reports on the letter.

USC employees did not say whether they would agree to the offer, saying only that they “review the letter of the administration.” A White House spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for a Newsom response.

This article was Originally Published on CalMatters and was reissued under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Noderivatives License.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *