How to get apps and websites to remove your non-consensual nude photos


Once someone submits a takedown request, the platform has up to 48 hours to determine whether it is valid. If it decides to do so, it must remove the reported content and any similar copies.

Many of the larger platforms say they use an industry tool called Stop NCIIwhich uses matching algorithms to identify offensive images and videos and is run by a British non-profit organisation. People can open cases directly on the tool’s website to add to what the tool reports. Social media platforms Reddit, TikTok, Snap, Microsoft Bing, Meta Facebook, Instagram, and Threads are listed as participants on the tool’s website.

Although many major platforms have designated templates to help guide the application process, Alejandro Cuevas, a postdoctoral fellow at the Princeton Center for Information Technology Policy who studied the impact of the initial version of the law on deepfake communities, noted that some sites only provide an email address for people to submit takedown requests.

In those cases, maintaining good documentation, including links to infringing content, is especially important, Cuevas says, because there are concerns that if “applicants fail to do one of these things, it will serve as a shield for the company to potentially not comply with the request, delay it, or drag its feet.”

dead

Cindy Southworth, head of women’s safety at Meta, said in a statement that the company supported the law and had been “already in compliance for several months.” Presented by Meta A Help page Includes directions for submitting applications at Facebook, Instagram, Topicsand Meta artificial intelligence.

Microsoft

To submit a takedown request for some Microsoft products, including Bing Search and OneDrive, Microsoft has a form titled “Report a problemPeople must first identify the service where the content resides and share a link to it before identifying their “type of concern” as “non-consensual intimate images.”

“President Trump’s signing of the Take It Down Act provides essential tools to prevent technology misuse and protect individuals from digital harm,” Brad Smith, vice chairman and president of Microsoft, said in a statement.

Google (including YouTube)

A Google spokesperson told WIRED that the company has supported the act and has been investing in policies and tools to discourage non-consensual intimate images since 2015. Google has a custom takedown request form People can submit up to 10 links at a time, and have a separate link form Where people can submit YouTube takedown requests.

Reddit

Reddit spokesperson Gene Molina says Reddit was an early supporter of the Take It Down Act, and that it has “updated our systems to ensure full compliance with the specific requirements of the law when it goes into effect.”

Logged in users can report individual posts, and Reddit will add a reporting form to its website on May 19.

pop

“We have created processes for Snapchat users and other individuals to report this type of content,” a Snap spokesperson said in a statement to WIRED. “We continue to develop these systems as part of our broader safety efforts, including investing in tools and technology to proactively detect and take action on unwanted nudes and similar images that are shared without permission.”

A link was shared by A Help page The company appears to have updated it to include references to the law after WIRED reached out. “Snape has a year”Report the account or contentA form where people can select either “They actually share my nudes/intimate photos without my permission” or “They threaten to leak my nudes/intimate photos without my permission” as a sub-option of the “They actually leaked/threaten to leak my nudes or other intimate photos (real or AI-generated)” option in the “Report a breach” drop-down menu.

LinkedIn

A LinkedIn spokesperson says the platform has “zero tolerance for non-consensual intimate images.” Logged in users can submit a request by clicking on the three dots at the top right of any post and selecting the “Non-consensual intimate images” option.

The spokesperson adds that starting on May 19, anyone, even people without accounts, will be able to submit removal requests through the Help Center form, and each report will be reviewed by a human.

Tik Tok

TikTok’s US spokesperson, Mahsau Cullinane, says the company has a zero-tolerance policy for NCII abuse and was an early supporter of the Take It Down Act. People can submit reports through a form Which is also linked to in the in-app reporting tool (which can be accessed from each post through the Share button).

Epic Games

Cat McCormack, an Epic Games spokesperson, says people can submit takedown requests through it Illegal content reporting form The tool, which it says will be updated with additional fields to comply with the Take It Down Act.

To submit a takedown request through the form, people must select either “cyberviolence” or “cyberviolence against women” in the question “What type of content or behavior are you reporting?” Question and then select either “Non-consensual sharing of (intimate) material, including sexual assault (image-based) (excluding content that depicts minors)” or “Non-consensual sharing of material containing deepfakes or similar technology using third-party features (excluding content that depicts minors).”

Roblox

Within the app, users can submit removal requests through the “Report Abuse” menu item, or through Reporting form In its help center. At the time of publication, the page had not yet been updated with information about the Take It Down Act.

“Roblox proudly supported the passage of the Take It Down Act and we are fully committed to its goals,” says Nikki Jackson Colaco, Head of Global Public Policy at Roblox. “While our platform does not allow users to exchange photos or videos through chat, to help protect individuals from non-consensual explicit images (NCII), we offer custom reporting capabilities.”

A spokesperson confirmed that users can upload photos and videos to developer forums and as part of Experiences, which are 3D worlds that users create and play together.

stutter

Elymae Cedeno, vice president of trust and customer experience at Bumble, says the dating app takes NCII “seriously and supports the passage of the Take It Down Act.” Anyone can submit a removal request through form Listed in its Help Center, Cedeno says reports are reviewed immediately and handled “urgently and carefully, prioritizing safety and privacy throughout the process.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *