Google agrees to pay $135 million in massive Android data harvesting settlement


Android users, take note: On Tuesday, Google Reaching a preliminary settlement In a class action lawsuit over illegal data collection. If the deal goes through, Google will pay her $135 million Android phone usersIt is perhaps the largest settlement of this type in history.

According to the lawsuit, starting in 2017, Google programmed its Android operating system to automatically collect cellular data via carrierswith no way for users to opt out. The lawsuit asserted that this data collection occurred even when users took steps such as opting out Location tracking Or close applications


Don’t miss any of our unbiased technical content and lab reviews. Add CNET As Google’s preferred source.


The lawsuit also made an important claim: that Google’s data collection practices constitute a crime called diversion. Conversion occurs when one party takes property from another person with the intent of depriving them of it. No conversion cases were ever settled for $135 million.

As part of the settlement, Google denied any wrongdoing.

“We are pleased to resolve this case, which mischaracterized the standard industry practices that keep Android secure,” Google spokesman Jose Castañeda said. “We are providing additional disclosures to give people more information about how our services work.”

The lawsuit could have significant implications for data privacy and other data collection practices. It will also change Google’s terms of service. The company agreed to seek more explicit consent from Android users on first use New phonesto include a toggle button to turn off certain types of data collection, and to more clearly detect data collection.

How do Android users know if they’ll get their money’s worth?

Eight phones on the table

You’ll have to join the Android lawsuit to have a chance to pay.

Celso Bolgatti/CNET

This is a preliminary settlement before the first trial date in August, so we don’t know all the details yet. A judge will have to approve the settlement and confirm the timeframe, method of payment, and other details.

Here’s what we know: Payouts will be capped at $100 per person, so no one should expect to get more than that. Also, in most cases, you must register to become part of a class action. If you have not signed this specific claim yet, you are unlikely to receive any money.

Another compromise concerns ad targeting

It’s been an eventful week for Google settlements. Earlier this week, Google also agreed to Initial settlement of $68 million In another class action lawsuit, this one concerns Google Assistant (now replaced by Gemini for Home).

Users said Smart devices They used Google Assistant to listen to them without activating it, which resulted in ads being targeted based on information they didn’t willingly share.

In that settlement, payments will be made automatically. There is no claim form required to receive payment.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *