The Bay Area is still on edge after Trump rolled back a crackdown on immigration


A crowd of protesters march near a line of federal agents standing in a line outside a bridge entrance.
Members of the U.S. Coast Guard observe a vigil organized by the Interfaith Movement for Human Integrity off Coast Guard Island on Oct. 23, 2025. Photo by Jungho Kim for CalMatters

San Francisco has avoided an aggressive immigration crackdown under President Donald Trump – for now.

As CalMatters’ Carolyn Jones explains, Bay Area officials and residents remain on alert after Trump canceled plans Thursday to “increase” federal immigration enforcement in San Francisco. The move comes a day after the president sent about 100 federal agents to Coast Guard Island in nearby Alameda, prompting state and city leaders to denounce the potential deployment of federal troops to San Francisco.

In a social media postTrump cited discussions with San Francisco Mayor Daniel Lurie and conversations with Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang and Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff as reasons he called off the show of force. (After receiving public backlash, Benioff— who basically doesn’t live in San Francisco — walked back comments he made earlier this month in support of deploying the National Guard to the city).

Trump’s post ends with the phrase “Stay tuned!”

On Thursday morning, protesters gathered at the entrance to the Alameda military base, where federal agents used a stun grenade and pepper spray to disperse the crowd, according to KQED. At least two arrests were made.

Lurie, meanwhile, said San Francisco “remains prepared for any scenario.” In Oakland – where Trump previously sent a dispatch of federal troops — its mayor, Barbara Lee, said the city is “ready to support our residents through all available legal and appropriate means.”

And Diana Crofts-Pelaio, a spokeswoman for Gov. Gavin Newsom, said the office continues to monitor the region “as the days go by.”

  • Crofts-Pelaioin an emailed statement: “Trump has finally, for once, listened to reason — and heard what we’ve been saying from the beginning. The Bay Area is a shining example of what makes California so special, and any attempt to undermine our progress would hurt the work we’ve done.”

Read more here.

Speaking of Trump and Newsom:

  • Veto Bills: Newsom has vetoed more than 100 pieces of legislation this session, citing Trump and “hostile” federal policies in several of his veto messages. Read more by Ryan Sabalow of CalMatters.
  • Funding for Planned Parenthood: Newsom on Thursday said the state will invest more than $140 million to help California’s remaining Planned Parenthood clinics. Earlier this year, the Trump administration barred the clinics, which are the state’s largest abortion provider, from receiving federal Medicaid payments. About 80% of Medi-Cal patients use Planned Parenthood for reproductive health care, cancer screenings and primary care exams. Read more by Kristen Huang of CalMatters.

More ways to get news from CalMatters: We have an app available for both iPhone and Android users. Every morning you will receive a notification of the most important news of the day and be the first to learn about important breaking news. And we may send you text notifications about our latest investigations, election coverage and more. Register here.



Marines mistake

Vice President JD Vance (right) watches a demonstration by Marines at Camp Pendleton on Oct. 18, 2025. Photo by Gregory Bull, AP Photo

California members of Congress are calling for an investigation more details are coming out about the Marine Corps artillery crash over Interstate 5 on Saturday, CalMatters’ Deborah Brennan reports.

In a planned demonstration involving the firing of 60 artillery rounds at Camp Pendleton in San Diego County, an apparent mistake ended up scattering shrapnel over the coastal highway. Shrapnel struck a California Highway Patrol motorcycle and an empty patrol car. The demonstration was in honor of the 250th anniversary of the US Marine Corps, which was attended by Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth.

Public safety officials and former military personnel said the location of the demonstration was unusual and that live-fire drills are usually held at designated ranges within the base.

U.S. Rep. Mike Levin, a Democrat who represents the district that includes Camp Pendleton, sent a letter to Hegseth demanding answers to questions about the incident, including who decided to fire field artillery over the highway. Twenty-six other members of California’s Congress and two state senators also signed the letter.

  • Levinto CalMatters: “I believe decision-making does not put public safety first.”

Read more here.

Police data reduction

Wide view of cars as they pass three signs that indicate different exits on a busy highway.
Vehicles on Interstate 110 in Los Angeles on May 23, 2025. Photo by Damian Dovarganes, AP Photo

Los Angeles County leaders are calling on their sheriff to limiting the sharing of license plate reader data after CalMatters found that some law enforcement agencies were illegally sharing the data with federal immigration agencies, write Phoebe Huss of CalMatters’ College Journalism Network and Khari Johnson.

The county Board of Supervisors tabled the proposal in September, requesting that the sheriff’s department not use the license plate data it collects for non-criminal immigration enforcement. They also called for the department to conduct privacy training for deputies and to delete spotted signs after 60 days unless the signs are flagged on criminal lists.

The request cites a CalMatters June Reportwhich found that a dozen Southern California police and sheriff’s departments were sharing such data with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection — despite a 2015 state law barring California law enforcement agencies from sharing license plate reader data with federal entities.

CalMatters did not find that the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department shared data with ICE or the Border Patrol, but some agencies in the Los Angeles area did. The sheriff’s department says it “welcomes” the request and will review its policies.

Read more here.

Finally: Health care costs are a concern in California

A silhouette of an adult holds a small child while another person stands nearby in the bright afternoon sun, with power lines stretching across a clear blue sky in the background.
A mother with her children, ages one and seven, outside her apartment complex in Los Angeles on February 8, 2025. Photo by Joel Angel Juarez for CalMatters

Nearly 80 percent of voters are concerned about health care affordability, according to the latest poll by the California Wellness Foundation. Nearly 40 percent of Californians surveyed also said they know someone whose mental health has worsened because of immigration crackdowns under the current administration. Read more on the survey findings by Ana B. Ibarra of CalMatters.



Other things worth your time:

Some stories may require a subscription to read.


Newsom accuses Trump of using Border Patrol to suppress voices. Trump warns him to be careful // San Francisco Chronicle

9th Circuit reconsiders decision it upheld Trump’s powers to deploy troops // Los Angeles Times

Voter turnout exceeds expectations in CA’s Prop. 50 // Los Angeles Times

Immigrants last hope in ICE court // The San Francisco Standard

H-1B visa: Many foreign workers and students exempt from $1K fee // The Mercury News

The wine industry is struggling while Yolo County vintners pluck vines // Abbreviated

Aliso Canyon Leak: Inside the aftermath of the largest methane leak in US history // LAist

State court orders settlement with Trump with UCLA to be published // EdSource

Lynn La is a newsletter writer for CalMatters, which focuses on the top political, policy and Capitol stories in California each weekday. She produces and curates WhatMatters, CalMatters’ flagship daily newsletter…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *